Foreigners must obtain Restricted Area Permit (RAP) or Inner Line Permit (ILP) to visit Sikkim. These can be obtained from all Indian Missions, Sikkim Tourism Offices at New Delhi, Kolkata, District Magistrates Office of Darjeeling, Siliguri, and Rangpo on the strength of an Indian Visa. The 30 days duration Permit is issued on the spot without any delay provided photocopies of the passport and visa along with two pass port photos of the applicants are made available. The permissible duration of the stay for foreign tourists is 30 days initially.
The State Government is authorized to extend the same by a further period of 30 days. The extension of the permit can be obtained from FRO at Gangtok and office of Superintendent of Police of the North, West and South Districts.
For those interested in going for trekking in the interior region of the state, the Tourism and Civil Aviation issues Protected Area Permit (PAP) at Gangtok which is available for certain specified area for groups consisting of two or more foreigners subject to condition that the trekking programme is arranged through a registered travel agency.
RESTRICTED AREA PERMIT /PROTECTED AREA PERMIT
To visit Sikkim foreigners must obtain Restricted Area Permit (RAP) previously known as Inner Line Permit from Sikkim Tourism Officers on the strength of valid Indian Visa.
The RAP is issued free of cost by:
1. Ministry of Home affairs, Government of India, Lok Nayak Bhawan, New Delhi
2. All Foreigners Registration Offices.
3. All Indian Mission Abroad
4. Immigration Offices at Airports at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai and New Delhi
5. Deputy Director, SNT Complex, Siliguri, Tourism Department phone no: 0353 - 2512646
6. Assistant Director – Tourism Department, Sikkim House, Panchasheel Marg, New Delhi, Tourism Department, phone number: 011- 41680421/011-26115346
7. Assistant Director – Tourism Department , Sikkim Tourism Office, 4/1 Middleton Street, Kolkata, Phone Number : 033 22817905
8. Assistant Director– Tourism Department, Melli, Near Melli Police Check Post, South Sikkim, and Mobile No: 9775453611, 03595-248536, PLS NOTE: ILP issuing time is from 8 am to 8 pm every day.
9. Assistant Director, Tourism Department, Sikkim Tourism Office, Rangpo, East Sikkim phone no: 03592-240818
10. Resident Commissioner, Government of Sikkim, Sikkim House, New Delhi
11. Deputy Commissioner, Darjeeling, West Bengal
12. Deputy Secretary/ Under Secretary, Home Department, Government of West Bengal, Kolkata
The Nationalities of Pakistan, Bangladesh, China, Myanmar and Nigeria will not be issued Permit without the prior approval of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi.
# To Apply for the online Provisional ILP/RAP
Protected Area Permit (PAP) for various places in Sikkim are issued as follows: -
1. Tsongo –Baba Mandir-permit are issued by Police Check Post for Domestic Tourist. For foreign tourist, permit is issued by Tourism & Civil Aviation Department and Police check post.
2. Nathula Pass – Permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police Check Post for domestic tourist.
1. Dzongri-Goechala Trek – Permit is issued by Adventure Cell of Tourism & Civil Aviation Department, Govt. of Sikkim
2. Singalila Trek – Permit is issued by Adventure cell of Tourism & Civil Aviation Department, Govt. of Sikkim
1. Yumthang – Permit is issued by Police check post for Domestic Tourist and for foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police Check Post
2. Yumesamdong - Permit is issued by Police check post for Domestic Tourist and for foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police Check Post
3. Thangu-Chopta Valley – Permit is issued by Police Check post for Domestic Tourist and for Foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department and Police check post. Foreigners must apply through a Sikkim Tourism registered Travel Agent in groups of two people or more for visiting these areas.
4. Gurudongmar – Permit is issued by Police check post for domestic tourist and for foreigners permit is issued by Tourism Department till Thangu.
5. Green Lake Trekking Permit is issued by Tourism Department after obtaining a valid permit from Ministry of Home Department, New Delhi.
Restricted Area Permit or also known as ILP is a valid permit for trekking anywhere in the South District for Foreign Tourist.
Alpine Mountaineering Expedition permit is issued by Tourism Department after obtaining valid permit from Home Department, Government of Sikkim, Gangtok, for the following peaks as per the Home Department Notification no: 25/Home/2006 dated 20/3/2006
Mountains open for Expeditions:
1) Tenchingkhang 5603 meters (West Sikkim)
2) Jopuno 5935m (West Sikkim)
3) Frey’s peak 5830m (West Sikkim)
4) Lama Angden 5868m (North Sikkim)
5) Brum Khangse 5433m (North Sikkim)
NATIONAL PARKS & WILD LIFE SANCTUARIES
National park and Wildlife Sanctuary entry permits is issued by Forest Department at Gangtok.